5 best cafés for a sunny summer day
Get ready for alfresco season with Iceland Magazine’s guide to the cafés with the best verandas, rooftops and outdoor areas in Reykjavík.
1. The Kex is what you could call the epitome of quirky hipsterism. Situated in the hostel that used to be a cookie factory (Kex is the Icelandic word for cookie), with a fantastic view of the bay, the bar offers tasty craft beers on draft and bistro-style food in case you get peckish. The Kex has a large outdoor patio with a fantastic view of the bay and a little park out back, which is well worth a visit whenever one wants to enjoy a little sun.
Crowd: Members of the city council, hostel -guests, and hipsters.
Address: Skúlagata 28
2. Loft is situated in the Loft Hostel in Bankastræti street and is the latest addition to Reykjavík’s hostel flora. The bar is nice and spacious with ample seating, and the roof terrace has an absolutely amazing view over the city centre.
Crowd: Pretty much anyone and everyone.
Address: Bankastræti 7
3. Kaffi París is located in the heart of the city and a popular spot for people- watching and basking in the sun. On sunny days, Kaffi Paris and the other cafés situated around Austurvöllur square are bustling with life. The café offers breakfast, lunch, and dinner for those in need of a little fill- me- up. Crowd: Popular with tourists and Icelanders alike.
Address: Austurstræti 14
4. Vegamót means “crossroads,” and is named after the little street it’s on, Vegamótastígur. During the day it’s a popular bistro with a large menu, but in the evenings it transforms into a popular bar. It has been a favourite of locals for well over a decade and continues to be so. The restaurant’s outdoor area is not only well- sheltered from wind but also sunny all day— therefore it’s jam-packed during warm summer days.
Crowd: Family-oriented during the day time. Attracts a more stylish crowd during evenings and weekends.
5. Café Flóra is located in Grasagarðurinn, Reykjavík’s botanical garden, in Laugardalur valley – only a thirty- minute walk from the city centre. The café’s beautiful surroundings make it a wonderful place to spend a summer day. Café Flóra’s menu consists of Scandinavian- inspired dishes and classic Danish open-faced sandwiches.
Crowd: Old and young come together at the café to enjoy the idyllic setting.
Address: Laugardalur valley
Ask the Expert
Do I need to leave a tip in Iceland?
Report: Nine exemptions granted this year allowing foreign nationals to acquire Icelandic property
Report: Former conservative city councilman under investigation for tax fraud, money laundering
Rental car takes a dip in boiling blue lagoon after American couple forgets to put it in park
Photos: Reykjavík fire department rescues cat from tree
Photos: Two destinations in South Iceland on CNN's Ultimate List of Scenic Splendor
Coast guard assist a humpback whale, remove pieces of fishing net and net floats from its tail fin
Yesterday's earthquake swarms not connected: No signs of imminent volcanic activity
Millions in Nazi gold believed to lie hidden off Iceland's shores
Quick primer on Bárðarbunga, Iceland's most powerful volcano
Follow Iceland Mag
Join our weekly hand curated newsletter to have all the latest news from Iceland sent to you
Don't worry, we won't spam you. Promise!
Third murder this year: Two men arrested yesterday evening. Woman dead after violent attack
12 reasons you should visit Iceland during the off-season
Worst whale hunting season in more than a decade: Only 17 whales killed this year
More details in Hagamelur murder case. Suspects in their 20s, 30s. Victim was in her 40s
Two travellers arrested in Keflavík for smoking on board airplanes
US Neo-nazis believe their "meme magic" caused the collapse of the Icelandic coalition government
Cuteness overload: A video of a litter of Arctic fox pups explore the world for the first time
Watch a selection of the most amazing Hollywood movie scenes shot in Iceland
Magical beauty of Icelandic landscapes captured in this award winning time-lapse video
Superb short film featuring breathtaking drone footage shot along the Ring Road One
Video: The stunning beauty of the Diamond Beach and other wonders of South Iceland