19 reasons why Icelanders are strange, according to a Spaniard living in Iceland
Stúdentablaðið, the official student magazine of the National University, published an interesting article written by Jordi Pujolá in their latest edition. In the article Jordi, who is Spanish but moved to Iceland in 2013, lists a number of things that strike him as strange about Iceland.
Here’s Jordi’s complete list:
1. To see all the weather signs listed at the same time during the weather news (sun, rain, snow…)
2. To see a shovel outside every house during the winter months. I now know the reason why.
3. To see a shop closed for the day due to good weather.
4. When Icelanders open a window when the central heating inside gets too warm.
5. That Icelanders never wear thick winter clothing despite the cold weather. Should you spot some-one dressed in such a way, it’s most likely a tourist.
6. To receive a phone call from your doctor who just wanted to check in with you.
7. Adding someone on Facebook and seeing that you already have a friend in common.
8. That Icelanders obsess about having their own special place down-town that, according to them, sells the best hot-dog, ice cream or coffee.
9. That you’re able to pay for a single lolly-pop with a credit card.
10. That lunch is an informal affair and one is not obligated to spend lunchtime with a group of people.
11. That it’s enough to say “Hello” when you meet new people. In Spain one has to kiss them as well.
12. Socks are as important as shoes. Even at the dentist people take their shoes off.
13. That you do not have to show the cashier at your local grocery store the contents of your backpack to prove you haven’t stolen anything as one does in Spain.
14. Stocking up on beer at the grocery store only to find out later that it’s alcohol free.
15. Icelanders are extremely patriotic and always support each other, even during karaoke.
16. That there’s only one major dairy company in Iceland.
17. Icelanders walk on the grass, something that’s prohibited in Spanish parks.
18. Having gone to the store to exchange a product and not being asked for the receipt.
19. Observing Icelanders on the phone. When I first witnessed an Icelander on the phone I thought something horrible had happened.
Sea angling travellers caught 79 metric tons of fish in Icelandic waters in June
Plans to destroy unique waterfalls in an abandoned fjord meets stiff resistance
Beautiful video follows a team of photographers along the Ring Road
Ask the Expert
Why the constant earthquakes? Iceland is slowly being torn apart
Help Wanted: Swimming pool in remote North Iceland fjord can't open due to lack of workers
From the editor: What's going on in Icelandic politics?
Watch: Stunning drone video of waterfalls, cliffs and peaks from around Iceland
Meet Icelandic horses at a farm in W. Iceland: Local farm opens perfect petting- and 'selfie stop'
Hellnar on Snæfellsnes one of "25 secret European villages you should visit in your lifetime"
Beautiful video of the Aurora dancing over the Westfjords
Follow Iceland Mag
Join our weekly hand curated newsletter to have all the latest news from Iceland sent to you
Don't worry, we won't spam you. Promise!
Massive search underway for man who fell in Gullfoss waterfall
Nobody hurt as tour bus rolls onto its side in Þingvellir national park
Video: Beware of the Icelandic vigilante shower wardens
BREAKING: Man missing after falling into Gullfoss waterfall a foreign asylum seeker
Man who fell into Gullfoss waterfall still missing: Search will continue today
Local hot-dog manufacturer clarifies: We are not promoting Nazism or the Third Reich
Five new kittens join the cast of reality-TV show Kattarshians, as previous stars find new homes
Watch a selection of the most amazing Hollywood movie scenes shot in Iceland
Magical beauty of Icelandic landscapes captured in this award winning time-lapse video
Superb short film featuring breathtaking drone footage shot along the Ring Road One
Abandoned farm house and a gentle horse — an award winning short travel film